Friday, January 14, 2011

Fail/wail

Sadly, not all creative projects end in success. Today, I was inspired to make toilet paper origami--I'm especially good at making those clever little cranes that flap their wings when you pull their tails, but I can create other things, too. The Quilted Northern (only the best for my bum, y'know) squares just happen to be perfectly SQUARE, which makes them the perfect shape for making cute lil' paper creations like birds, boxes, boats, dogs, and whatever tickles your fancy.

Sadly, even the multi-ply toughness of our TP couldn't stand up to the rigors of Japanese paper folding. I tried making a crane, then moved onto a less-complex cootie catcher (that four-pronged doohickey you used to make in grade school with the numbers on the outside, colors on the inside, and that told you your future when you opened it up). Finally, I just went with the easiest possible thing and tried to make a paper solider hat--no dice.

No project picture today--who wants to look at wadded-up toilet tissue?--but I did want to share this lovely 3D sculpture interpretation of Twitter's infamous "fail whale" culled from the ever-brilliant Make. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment