Friday, January 7, 2011

Sock It To Me

I friggin' love puppets. If I see a display of them in a gift shop or a toy store, it is physically impossible to prevent me from goofing around with them, and close to impossible to drag me away. When I was a gradeschooler at Hanover Countryside Elementary, we frequently enjoyed visits from marionettes, and I was entranced. The Easter Bunny left an orange-sherbet-colored plush rabbit puppet in my basket one year; for months, Eddie Rabbit and I were inseparable. And now that I'm a grownup, this love is no less intense--I give way more dollar bills to the pint-size performers of Puppet Bike than I should, and on a recent visit to Macy's, I found a puppet and ended up walking throughout the store with it on my hand, weird looks from other shoppers be damned.

Today, I decided to dispatch with one of my mismatched socks and make a sock puppet. She (yes, it's a she--don't ask me why) has sparkly red hair, two beady black-yarn eyes, and a fuzzy purple shirt. She isn't Muppet quality, but she's pretty darned cute, I think.

She needs a name--what do you think? Leave your suggestions in the comments below.

3 comments: